Install smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors in every hall, bedroom, and kitchen and on every level including the basement. Properly working smoke alarms greatly increase your chances of surviving a fire.
Test and clean smoke alarms once a month and replace batteries at least once a year.
Replace smoke alarms as needed.
Place accessible and operable fire extinguishers in the kitchen, garage, basement, near furnaces and hot water tanks and in bedroom closets.
Make sure your fire place or wood burning stove is properly protected by a sturdy screen or gates, is properly attended and is properly extinguished.
Teach children how to “stop, drop, and roll” in the event their clothing catches fire.
Burn only seasoned hard woods such as oak or maple.
Install working carbon monoxide detectors in the common area of the bedrooms.
Never leave cooking unattended.
Never wear loose fitting clothing while cooking.
Don’t be distracted while cooking.
Keep towels, curtains and all other flammables/combustibles away from flames.
Never use a range or oven to heat your home.
Have an escape plan and practice it with the entire family.
Make sure all windows and doors are operable.
Teach family members when escaping a fire to stay low to the floor where the air is safer.
Follow all precautions for space heaters given by the manufacturer including using the proper fuel and maintaining a safe distance from all flammables.
Keep matches and lighters away from children.
Never smoke in bed or when drowsy or medicated.
Inspect extension cords for frayed or exposed wires or loose plugs.
Make sure receptacles have cover plates and no exposed wiring.
Do not run extension cords or any other wiring beneath rugs or over cutting/abrasive surfaces or across high traffic areas.
Do not overload extension cords or receptacles.
Keep candles at least 12 inches from flammable/combustible material.
Properly store and use fireworks per the product labeling.
Check with your local fire department for additional tips.
REMEMBER, FIRE IS FAST, DARK AND HOT GET OUT – STAY OUT - CALL 9-1-1